Sunday, June 20, 2010

This I Believe: A Turn of the Cards

I believe in living life to the absolute fullest. For some it means fast and furious and for others tranquil and slow. It can be as simple as indulging in an extra slice of Dutch apple pie or as complex as starting over after recovering from a long-term illness.

During spring break of my senior year in high school, I went out with my boyfriend and a few other friends to a local coffee house to escape the drama of college applications, job hunting and the impending Final Exams of Doom. We weren't expecting anything special out of that day, just to kick back with drinks and pastries and trade a few laughs. Then we met Dave. We had assumed him to be just another patron, but there he was, jumping right into our conversation of anything and everything. We pulled up chairs to his table, welcoming him into our group. Even though we didn't know him, he basically poured his life out to us, and we reciprocated. Dave, we learned, collected and read tarot cards, and that evening he offered to read them for each of us for free. I don't put a whole lot of faith into tarot card readings because they are a huge opportunity for scams. I had nothing to lose in this situation, so it was an "Eh, what the hell" decision. To my surprise, his interpretation was absolutely dead-on, as it was for everyone else there that night. It was very hard to leave to be home in time for curfew. Even though Dave was many years our senior, he was a beautiful person with a warm personality, and I was extremely unwilling to let him go just like that.

One thing that has stuck with me from my tarot card reading is that all the obstacles that stand in my way are in my head; I am my own limits. With that in mind, I want to play my music a little too loudly. I want to go on all the most extreme roller coasters in America. I want to travel the world and come home at the end of the day. I want to laugh, to cry, to throw at least one full blown bitchfit. I want to experience because only then do I know that I am alive.


Share/Bookmark

0 comments: